pennews
www.pennews.net
US releases video showing alleged Iran’s forces removing mine from tanker
International

US releases video showing alleged Iran’s forces removing mine from tanker

Agency News

Washington, Jun 14 : The US military has released a video which it claims shows Iran's Revolutionary Guard (IRGC) removing an unexploded mine from one of the two tankers hit by explosions in the Gulf of Oman.
The explosions hit Altair and Kokuka Courageous tankers in the Gulf of Oman on Thursday.
The footage, released by the US Central Command showed a group of people in a boat next to some vessel. However, no flags or vessel names can be clearly seen in the video.
In a statement, released together with the footage, the military says the US forces had received two distress calls from Altair and Kokuka Courageous at 0612 hrs (01:42 GMT) and 0700 hrs on Thursday.
"At 1610 hrs local time an IRGC Gashti Class patrol boat approached the M/T Kokuka Courageous and was observed and recorded removing the unexploded limpet mine from the M/T Kokuka Courageous," the statement said.
Limpet mines are naval explosives attached to vessels by magnets.
While the cause of the blasts that hit two tankers remains unknown, US State Secretary Mike Pompeo claimed, citing assessment based on intelligence, that Iran was behind the attack.
Iran, in its turn, denied involvement in the incident. Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Jawad Zarif said earlier in the day, the United States had not provided any evidence to substantiate its claims. (UNI)