Tehran, June 14: Iran firmly rejects the remarks made by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who claimed that the Islamic Republic is responsible for the attacks on oil tanker vessels in the Gulf of Oman, Iran’s diplomat said in a statement.
"Iran 'categorically rejects' the US unfounded claim with regard to June 13 oil tanker incidents and condemns it in the strongest possible terms," the statement said on Thursday.
Iran’s mission urged the international community to prevent the United States and its allies from escalating tensions in the region. Iran has denied any involvement in all of the recent attacks, and Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Jawad Zarif earlier on Thursday called the timing of the latest incident "beyond suspicious" because it coincided with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's visit to the Islamic Republic.
Earlier in the day, two oil tankers were hit by explosions in the Gulf of Oman near the Strait of Hormuz. The cause of the incident remains unknown but US Secretary Pompeo in an impromptu press briefing immediately blamed Iran. (UNI)