Washington, May 14 : President Donald Trump has extended the US Declaration of National Emergency towards Yemen for another year, the White House said in a notice on Monday.
"The national emergency declared on May 16, 2012, to deal with that threat must continue in effect beyond May 16, 2019," Trump said. "In accordance with section 202(d) of the National Emergencies Act… I am continuing for 1 year the national emergency declared in Executive Order 13611."
On May 16, 2012, by Executive Order 13611, then-President Barack Obama declared a national emergency to deal with the threat to US national security and foreign policy due to the actions and policies of some former members of Yemen’s government, Trump said.
The United States continues to supply aircraft and munitions to Saudi Arabia and its Gulf Arab state allies whose air strikes against Yemen opposition forces in the country’s ongoing civil war have caused more than 10,000 deaths, according to UN figures. A UN report last year said both sides in the conflict are likely guilty of war crimes. SPUTNIK