Colombo, May 6 : Temporary ban on social media platforms such as Facebook, WhatsApp, Viber, YouTube and Instagram has been lifted, the Government Information Department said on Monday.
The government had on Sunday temporarily banned the social media platforms to stop the spread of rumours following violence erupted between groups of civilians in the city of Negombo. The government had also imposed a curfew in Negombo, site of one of the Easter Sunday bombings, to contain religious violence.
Tensions gripped Negombo on Sunday as fighting erupted between ethnic Sinhalese people and Muslims, Sri Lanka military spokesman Brigadier Sumith Atapattu told.In the meanwhile, government schools in Sri Lanka resumed classes on Monday amid tight security after an extended Easter vacation following the suicide attacks last month.
St Sebastian's Church in majority-Catholic Negombo was among the six sites bombed in the Easter Sunday bombings that killed 257 people. (UNI)