SriLanka’s Catholic cardinal has informed that he has received secret information about imminent attacks on church.
Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith says churches and Catholic schools will be closed throughout Sri Lanka 'until further notice'. The cardinal has received "foreign information" that says attempts would be made this week to attack a church. Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith - archbishop of Colombo - said he was closing churches and Catholic schools throughout Sri Lanka and cancelling public congregations for mass "until further notice". Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith also sent the letter to church officials that appeared on social media on Thursday.
"For your own good, we have decided to close down those churches," wrote Ranjith. Church spokesman Reverend Edmund Thilakaratne in an interview confirmed the authenticity of the letter to The Associated Press but declined to disclose further details, including the source of the foreign information.
An Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (or ISIS)-linked group of Sri Lankan nationals carried out coordinated suicide bombings on Easter Sunday at three churches and three luxury hotels on the island that killed 257 people.
Earlier on Thursday, Tillakaratne said that Ranjith cancelled all Sunday services for a second week in the diocese based on the latest security reports.