pennews
www.pennews.net
PM confirms 40 dead, 20 injured in NZ Christchurch shooting
International

PM confirms 40 dead, 20 injured in NZ Christchurch shooting

Wellington, Mar 15 : As many as 40 people have been killed and 20 people injured after four gunmen stormed two Christchurch mosques in New Zealand on Friday, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said.

According to her, 10 people were killed at Linwood and 30 at the Deans Ave mosque near Hagley Park and left 20 people injured, said in a press conference.

'It was an 'unprecedented' situation and described it as a terrorist attack', Ms Ardern further said. It was obvious the attacks had been planned for some time, she stated.

Three men and one woman was arrested in this connection. The PM said she could not give any more details about the alleged offenders.

The Police Commissioner Mike Bush said, "We don't have the identities of those who have died yet because those places are in lock down."He further said he would not assume there aren't other attackers. Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison confirmed one of the gunmen was an Australian citizen living in New Zealand. Morrison said he was "shocked, appalled and outraged," at the attack.

"We stand here and condemn absolutely the attack that occurred by an extremist, right wing, violent terrorist. Morrison said the attack reminds us about the evil that is ever present and would seek to "strike us out at any time." The lock down of schools throughout Christchurch was lifted up.It is apprehended that the toll will rise. UNI