MOSCOW, Mar 13 : The US threats toward Rosneft over the company's cooperation with Venezuela are pointless, as the oil giant has been successfully operating under US sanctions since 2014, the Russian Foreign Ministry said Wednesday.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Tuesday accused Rosneft of buying oil from Venezuela bypassing US sanctions. Rosneft dismissed Pompeo's accusations by saying that it is not engaged in politics, but carries out commercial activities in accordance with international law and market contracts that had been signed long before the United States imposed unilateral restrictions.
"The threats by the US secretary of state toward Rosneft over cooperating with Venezuela are pointless. The company has been under US sanctions since 2014, but continues to operate successfully," the ministry said in a statement.
The ministry also urged the United States to reconsider its practice of imposing unilateral restrictions on foreign companies and proceed to cooperating with the United Nations to stabilize the situation in Venezuela.