pennews
www.pennews.net
Two bushfires in Aussie disrupt lives, emergency warning issued
International

Two bushfires in Aussie disrupt lives, emergency warning issued

Gippsland (Australia), Mar 4: Two bushfires in southeastern Australia have threatened lives, as authorities confirmed on Monday that an entire township has been wiped out by devastating bushfires in Victoria's southeast.

So far at least nine structures — including homes — have been destroyed by fires in the state's east, reports ABC news. The threat posed by two out-of-control bushfires at Bunyip and Yinnar South eased Monday morning and authorities downgraded warnings for those fires.

But emergency warnings have been issued for two bushfires near Dargo, in east Gippsland, which authorities warn could impact several nearby communities. "On Monday morning, the fire had burnt through 12,500 hectares and will continue to grow," according to the Forest Fire Management's Assistant Chief Chris Eagle.

About 1 pm (local time), authorities said, "A bushfire burning west of Dargo had travelled south past the Dargo township but was producing spot fires nearby." "The fire is currently spotting well ahead of the main fire into private property," the warning said.

The Bunyip State Park fire, burning 65km east of Melbourne, was sparked by lightning strikes on Friday.UNI