pennews
www.pennews.net
Philippines : Islamic State claims responsibility for deadly cathedral bombing
International

Philippines : Islamic State claims responsibility for deadly cathedral bombing

Agency News

Manila, Jan 28: In a series of bulletins shared in chat rooms on the app Telegram, the Islamic State terrorist group has claimed responsibility for the bomb attack at a cathedral in the southern Philippines on Sunday (Jan 27), which killed 20 people and wounded scores of others.

The group said the Cathedral of Our Lady of Mount Carmel had been hosting a “polytheistic gathering”. ISIS members, pointing to the doctrine of the trinity, argue that Christians are not true monotheists.

Two bombs exploded as people were gathered for morning Mass at the cathedral in Jolo, the capital of Sulu province, said Col. Gerry Besana, a spokesman for the military. The bombs were believed to be homemade, reports Singapore's english language digital news, Today.

He said one of the bombs exploded inside the church, while the other exploded in a nearby parking lot as congregants panicked and rushed outside.

Chief Superintendent Graciano Mijares, the regional police commander, said on Sunday that 20 people had been killed, five of whom were soldiers guarding the church. Earlier, the police had put the death toll at 27. Eighty-one others were wounded, including 16 police officers and members of the military.

Philippine defence secretary Delfin N. Lorenzana said troops were at a heightened alert level and were securing all places of worship.

“We assure our people that we will use the full force of the law to bring to justice the perpetrators behind this incident,” he said in a statement.

The attack on the island of Jolo came less than a week after voters rejected its inclusion in a Muslim autonomous area; the referendum was overwhelmingly approved in other parts of the Mindanao island group, which includes Jolo. The government of the mainly Catholic country has for decades been fighting Islamist separatist groups like Abu Sayyaf, which has become affiliated with the Islamic State.

The cathedral in Jolo has been a frequent target of a small group of militants affiliated with Abu Sayyaf and the Islamic State. In 2010, two separate grenade attacks rocked the church, though no one was reported hurt. Three years later, two churchgoers were wounded in a similar attack.

Abu Sayyaf has been blamed for some of the worst attacks in the Philippines in recent decades, including kidnappings, bombings and beheadings of foreign and local hostages. That includes the country’s deadliest terrorist attack, a 2004 bombing of a passenger ferry in Manila Bay that killed more than 100 people. But the military has often played down Abu Sayyaf’s strength, putting its numbers at fewer than 500.

For five months in 2017, a faction of the group led by Isnilon Hapilon — who was considered the Islamic State’s leader in South-east Asia — laid siege to the southern Philippine city of Marawi. The battle left the city in ruins and some 1,200 people dead, including Hapilon.

Last year, Abu Sayyaf detonated a car bomb at a police checkpoint on the southern island of Basilan, killing 10 people.

The failure of the referendum last Monday in Jolo, a predominantly Muslim area, had raised fears of reprisals by militant groups. The referendum sought to ratify a law signed by President Rodrigo Duterte last year that would create a self-governing area known as Bangsamoro.

That law was a condition of a 2014 peace deal between the government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, a separatist rebel force that dropped its bid for independence in exchange for self-rule. Abu Sayyaf was excluded from that deal.

Other areas of the southern Philippines will vote next month on whether to join the Muslim autonomous area.

Mr Salvador Panelo, a spokesman for Mr Duterte, said the government condemned the attack on Sunday in the “strongest possible terms.”

“We will pursue to the ends of the earth the ruthless perpetrators behind the dastardly crime until every killer is brought to justice and put behind bars,” he said in a statement. “The law will give them no mercy.”

Mr Panelo said the attack was a clear challenge to the Duterte government, which sent almost 10,000 troops to Jolo last year in an effort to defeat Abu Sayyaf once and for all. (UNI)