pennews
www.pennews.net
Trump calls off summit with Kim
Trump calls off summit with Kim
International

Trump-Kim summit in late Ferbruary

Agency News

The US President, Mr. Donald Trump, will hold a second summit with the North Korean leader, Mr. Kim Jong-un, in late February on Pyongyang dismantling its nuclear and missile programmes, the White House has announced.

The two had met on June 12 last year in Singapore for the first summit.While the White House did not identify a location for the summit, according to media reports preparations were under way to host the summit, most likely in Vietnam's capital Hanoi or the coastal city of Danang.

The announcement came after Mr. Trump met with the North Korean envoy, Mr. Kim Yong Chol, on Friday for a discussion that included talk about Mr. Kim Jong-un's unfulfilled pledge to dismantle his country's nuclear weapons programmes.

Mr. Trump sat down with Mr. Kim Yong Chol, a high-level official in North Korea's Communist government, in the Oval Office, White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said.

'President Donald J Trump met with Kim Yong Chol for an hour and half, to discuss denuclearisation and a second summit, which will take place near the end of February. The President looks forward to meeting with Chairman Kim at a place to be announced at a later date.' she said.

The press secretary said later, 'We continue to make progress, we continue to have conversations.' The US is going to continue to keep 'pressure and sanctions' on North Korea until 'we see fully and verifiable denuclearisation', she said.

"We had very good steps and very good faith from the North Koreans with the release of hostages and other moves and so we'll continue this conversation.And the President looks forward to it next February," Sanders' told reporters.