Nasa to keep using Soyuz rockets even after breakdown
International

Nasa to keep using Soyuz rockets even after breakdown

Washington, Oct 13: US space agency Nasa will continue using Russian Soyuz rockets for missions despite the breakdown on Thursday.

While speaking in Moscow, Nasa head Jim Bridenstine said that he expected a December mission to the International Space Station (ISS) to go ahead as per the plan,reports BBC.

Earlier on Thrusday, Russian cosmonaut Alexey Ovchinin and American astronaut Nick Hague were heading for a six-month mission on the ISS when their flight was aborted. Their capsule separated and landed 400km (250 miles) from the launch site.

On the other hand, Russia's Deputy Prime Minister Yuri Borisov had said that no further manned missions would take place "until we believe that the entire situation guarantees safety". Bridenstine said that he had full confidence in the safety and reliability of Russian-made Soyuz space rockets.

"I fully anticipate that we will fly again on a Soyuz rocket," he said, praising the "wonderful relationship" between Nasa and the Russian space agency Roscosmos. Bridenstine also praised the two crew members and said,'It's amazing everyone came home safely. It could have not been good. But it was a very good day when the crews came home alive. The crew were calm when the worst was before them. Both are ready to fly again.

"It was a failed mission but a successful flight. Not every mission that fails, ends up so successful," he added. (UNI)