Turkey wants Saudi to prove if missing journalist left Istanbul consulate
International

Turkey wants Saudi to prove if missing journalist left Istanbul consulate

Ankara, Oct 9: After Jamal Khashoggi went missing in Saudi consulate, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Monday challenged Saudi Arabia to prove that a missing journalist has left its consulate in Istanbul.

"Consulate officials cannot save themselves by saying that he left the building," Mr Erdogan told a news conference on Monday. "If he left, you have to prove it with footage", he added.

Saudi national Jamal Khashoggi was last seen visiting the building last week. US President Donald Trump expressed concern about his fate on Monday, a report in BBC said.

According to media reports, Turkey requested a search of the consulate, after saying that Mr Khashoggi had been murdered within its walls. However, Saudi Arabia has denied the claims.

On Sunday Turkish officials claimed that investigators had "concrete proof" of the killing which, they said, was carried out by a 15-person Saudi team who arrived in the country last week.

So far, no evidence has been produced into the matter. Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has previously said officials are welcome to conduct a search as there is nothing to hide.

Mr Khashoggi had been living in the US, where he contributed articles to the Washington Post's opinion section. The newspaper said the US should demand answers from the Saudis.

"I am concerned about it. I don't like hearing about it', Mr Trump told reporters at the White House. "Hopefully that will sort it out. Right now nobody knows anything about it', he added. UNI