Istanbul, Oct 5 : An outspoken Journalist and contributor to the Washington Post (WaPo) Jamal Khashoggi has been reported missing from a Saudi consulate in Istanbul.
A former editor at Al-Watan newspaper and an established critic of the Saudi government especially the reform plans championed by Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman, the 59-year-old journalist was living in a self-imposed exile in US since 2017.
He went to Saudi consulate to complete some ‘routine paperworks’ on Tuesday and has not been heard of since then, reports the Washington Post.
His Turkish fiancée, Hatice, who had also gone with him to the consulate, told the media that she was not allowed to go inside with him. As per the rules in some embassies and consulates, he was also required to surrender his mobile phone.
Confusion reigned over his whereabouts on Wednesday when a Saudi official in Washington said that reports of Khashoggi's disappearance were false, and that he had left the consulate shortly after arriving.
His fiancée, however, rubbished that claim, pointing out that no-one had seen him - while a spokesman for Turkey's president said Khashoggi remained inside the building and that Turkish officials were in contact with their Saudi counterparts over the situation.
The Washington Post has left its ‘Global Opinions section empty’ since then, with an editor’s note stating:
“Jamal Khashoggi is a Saudi journalist and author, and a columnist for Washington Post Global Opinions. Khashoggi’s words should appear in the space above, but he has not been heard from since he entered a Saudi consulate in Istanbul for a routine consular matter on Tuesday afternoon.”
Meanwhile, the Turkish Foreign Ministry has summoned Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador Walid bin Abdul Karim El Khereiji to discuss the whereabouts of veteran journalist, Turkey’s state media reported.(UNI)