‘2+2’ Dialogue to consider Trump’s India visit
International

‘2+2’ Dialogue to consider Trump’s India visit

The inaugural US-India "2+2" Dialogue between Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Defence Secretary James Mattis with their Indian counterparts Sushma Swaraj and Nirmala Sitharaman in New Delhi on September 6 will consider President Donald Trump's visit to the country.

The White House said on Wednesday that India has invited President Trump for a visit, but a final decision has not been made yet. "The invitation has been extended, but I don't believe a final decision has been made," White House spokesperson Sarah Sanders told a press briefing.

Indian media reported earlier in July that Prime Minister Narendra Modi had invited Trump to be the chief guest for next year's Republic Day parade in January.

Sanders said that Pompeo and Mattis would begin the potential discussion for a presidential visit later in the year when both travel to New Delhi for the inaugural US-India "2+2" Dialogue.

She noted that US-India relations have been a "deep and abiding strategic" partnership. "We are going to continue to build on that partnership and advance cooperation," she said.

Differences, however, have cropped up in recent month between the two nations over trade tariffs, India's oil purchase from Iran and its proposed buying of S-400 missile defence system from Russia. (UNI)