Solan, Jul 15: The toll in Solan building collapse touched 14 as six more bodies of Army personnel were retrieved from the debris on Monday, officials said.
On Sunday evening, a building with a rooftop restaurant at Kumharhatti on Nahan express highway under Solan sub division collapsed amid rainfall. Dozens of people including Armymen who were having food in the restaurant, were buried under the debris.
Deputy Commissioner of Solan K C Chaman confirmed that 13 defence personnel lost their lives, while 17 others sustained injuries whereas one civilian lost his life and 11 others were injured.
Earlier, the team of National Disaster Response Force, Army, Police Home Guards, and Firemen along with the help of local people, had retrieved two bodies on late Sunday evening while six bodies recovered early on Monday morning.
Additional District Magistrate Vivek Chandel said that rescue operations had been completed, adding that all the injured and bodies had been retrieved from the rubble of the building.
Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur visited the site and ordered a magisterial enquiry into the accident. An FIR was registered against the owner of the building.
Mr Thakur also visited Maharishi Markandeshwar Medical College at Kumarhatti and Civil Hospital Dharampur to enquire about the health of injured.
The deceased were identified as Subedar Raj Kishore, Subedar Balwinder, Subedar, Vinod, Subedar Ajeet Kumar, Subedar Pardeep Chand, Niab Subedar Yogesh, Subedar Ishwar Singh, Subedar Hem Homang, Niab Subedar M. Nobin, Subedar Kumar Chaurahi, Subedar Surjeet Sharama, Subedar Rajab Bahadur, Subedar Lal Sans and Hotel owner Archna.
All the bodies have been handed over to the next of kin of their family members and Army officials after postmortem examination. All Junior Commissioned Officers of Army were from Assam Rifles. (UNI)