Kale looks like spinach but belongs to the cabbage family. It may have plain or curly edges and comes in green or purple varieties. The central leaves of the Kale plant do not form a head. Like many greens it is a great source of antioxidants. It differs from spinach in that it has a mildly bitter taste. It goes well in a salad, soup and stir fry.
1. Easy Kale Salad
Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 2oo grams of Kale leaves washed and cut/torn coarsely
- 1 large onion chopped into medium sized pieces
- 100 grams of tomatoes chopped
- 1 green chili chopped [optional]
- ½ cup cottage cheese cubed
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 2 flakes of garlic crushed
- Salt and pepper powder to taste
For the dressing mix together olive oil, lemon juice, crushed garlic, salt and pepper powder in a small bowl and set aside. In a salad plate lay out the kale leaves first. Then put in the tomatoes, cottage cheese, onions and green chili pieces. Chill this inside a refrigerator and pour the salad dressing over it just before serving.
P.S. Vegetables of your choice may be substituted for the salad, but this combo is unbeatable!
2. Kale and Carrots
Prep time:15 minutes Cooking time: 10-12 minutes
- 2 onions chopped small
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 carrots chopped into cubes
- 6 garlic flakes chopped fine
- ½ cup water [chicken stock enhances the flavour]
- 50 grams butter
- 250 grams Kale coarsely chopped
In a pressure cooker put in the butter and as it melts add the garlic to it. Stir for half a minute and then add the onions. Continue stirring and as the onions turn translucent, put in the chopped carrots and stir. Next add the kale, chili flakes half cup of water and salt to taste. Pressure cook this for 5 minutes. When it cools open and serve.
3. Super Kale Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 1 large onion chopped fine
- 4 flakes of garlic chopped
- 4 cups vegetable/ chicken stock
- 1 carrot cut into1/4 inch dices
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 potatoes diced small
- 3 cups kale chopped small and stems removed
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
Put the stock in a pot and to this put in sauted garlic and onion. Add the carrots .celery and potatoes and bring to a boil on high heat. Simmer for about 15minutes till the potatoes are well cooked. Add kale and the rest of the ingredients and cook for 5 minutes more. Your healthy super soup is ready.