Superstar Mohanlal signed off Bigg Boss Malayalam season 2 on Friday night.
Confirming the rumours of the a possible postponement of the show after 70 days, the photographs of the remaining contestants who came out of the venue had been circulating on social media for the past couple of days.
Confirming the news, Asianet which airs the show, said in a report that the decision comes as the team has to ensure health and safety of the contestants and the large production crew involved with the show. It is said that there are around 350 crew members are working tirelessly to make this show perfect. So the gathering of this much huge number of people was said to be the reason for quitting the show in the middle.
Superstar Mohanlal, the host of the show, visited the house where the rest of the 10 contestants live and informed the decision to sign off the show due to coronavirus scare.
Season 2 of the show will be calling off when the show has almost crossed 75 percent of its telecast. Endemol Shine India, producers of the reality show, tweeted on Tuesday that in the midst of the coronavirus scare, they were suspending their 'administrative and production department' until further notice.
“The measures have been taken in an abundance of caution and the company has not experienced any confirmed cases of COVID-19 within the organisation,” Endemol Shine In xperienced any confirmed cases of COVID-19 within the organisation,” Endemol Shine India tweeted. “”We hope to be back to entertaining you soon,” they stated.
The decision also comes in the wake of the decision by film bodies in India including Federation of Western Indian Cine Employees (FWICE) and Indian Film & Television Directors' Association (IFTDA) to put shootings of films, TV shows and web series on hold from March 19 to March 31.
The show was in the news over the past few days after with a case being registered against ousted contestant Rajith Kumar and 79 others who gathered at the Kochi airport on Sunday night to welcome Kumar. The mass gathering took place while the coronavirus restrictions are in place in the state. Kumar was taken into custody from his home in Attingal in Thiruvananthapuram on Tuesday.
Ernakulam district collector S. Suhas had taken to Facebook on Monday to condemn the incident. In the Facebook post, he wrote that this show by a fans association of a TV show is shameful for every Malayali, at a time when the whole world is taking precautions against the coronavirus outbreak. “The law cannot close its eyes against such blatant breaking of the rules when religious, political and social groups are all avoiding every kind of gathering as part of the precautions to keep the people safe,” he wrote. He further stated that such star worship is generally not part of Malayali culture.