New Delhi, Oct 26: Diwali festivities and celebrations in the national capital kicked off on Saturday evening in an eco-friendly way, with the special lazer light show organised by the Delhi government.
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal inaugurated the cultural programmes and the light show organised in the heart of the city Connaught Place that will continue with the Diwali festivities for the coming three days. The programmes include a lineup of performances by singers and other artists.
The four-day grand laser show beginning here will continue every evening till Tuesday from 1800 hrs to 2200 hrs.
The entry to the event is free for all while the Connaught Place has been decorated with laser lights. The laser shows will happen after every one hour, with various art and cultural programs alongside the laser show. Food courts , stalls have also been set up where people can come and enjoy with their families.
This was one of the initiatives of the Delhi government towards celebrating Diwali pollution-free keeping in view the air quality which tends to deteriorate during this time of year to the maximum.
Kejriwal had said that if the Diwali laser-show is successful this year, then the government will organise the event at various locations and on a larger scale next year.
"There are no restrictions levied on the traders and businessmen. Instead, the trade will be doubled because people will be visiting Connaught Place in large numbers. Restrictions have been levied only on private cars because they can cause congestion on the roads,' Kejriwal had said.
Electric vehicles have been deployed to transit people as private vehicles entry has been banned.
The government had earlier appealed to the people of the city to be a part of the community laser Diwali to reduce the pollution levels. (UNI)