Washington, May 20 : Healthcare giant Johnson & Johnson has announced that it would stop selling its talc-based Johnson’s Baby Powder in the United States and Canada after thousands of lawsuits alleging asbestos contamination in their products. The firm faces more than 16,000 lawsuits from consumers who claim that its talc products caused their cancer. The demand for Johnson's Baby Powder had been declining in North America "due in large part to changes in consumer habits and fuelled by misinformation around the safety of the product".
It said it had faced "a constant barrage" of lawyers advertising for clients to sue the firm. The move was part of a reassessment of its consumer products prompted by the coronavirus pandemic. Johnson & Johnson said it would wind down sales of the product, which makes up about 0.5% of its US consumer health business, in the coming months, but that retailers would continue to sell existing inventory, says a BBC news report.
It said in October that its testing had found no asbestos in its Baby Powder after tests conducted by the US Food and Drug Administration discovered trace amounts. The firm is appealing against a 2018 order to pay $4.7bn (£3.6bn) in damages to 22 women who alleged that its talc products caused them to develop ovarian cancer. (UNI)