Guwahati, Aug 28: Ruling BJP both at the state and the centre are working in tandem to counter the Supreme Court-monitored process through the legislative process after the final list is declared on August 31, senior party officials said.
“After the final list is declared on August 31, the court work will be over, and then the NRC becomes the government’s property. If need be we will not issue notification from the government side before the re-verification process. And for that, we will pass a resolution in the assembly. If the government doesn’t issue notification than on the administrative level NRC could not be implemented,” the source said.
Fearing large scale exclusions of Hindu population from the state in the final list of NRC, who were saffron brigade’s traditional vote bank, BJP finds itself in a sticky wicket. 41 lakh people names were excluded from the draft list of Assam citizens’ list published last year. And many right-wing organizations claim the majority of the total figure whose names are missing are Hindus.
With the NRC coming out on August 31, there are anxious and even upset people in different parts of the state with the BJP especially Bengali Hindus who overwhelmingly voted for BJP in the last assembly and parliamentary elections.
In the election this year, the BJP won 9 out of 14 seats in Assam - a stellar performance due to consolidation of tribals, Assamese Hindus and Bengali Hindus.
The ruling BJP in Assam to has raised concerns about wrong inclusions and exclusion but Supreme Court has not paid any heed to their worries.
BJP has tried everything - both the centre and the state filed petitions with the Supreme Court for re-verification of the NRC data, which the top court has turned down. (UNI)