Visakhapatnam, May 7 : At least six people died and 15 others fell critically ill after inhaling the styrene gas, leaked from the LG Polymers Chemical Plant located at RR Venkatapuram on the outskirts of Visakhapatnam here on Thursday. Police said that at around 3.30 am, poisonous gas leaked from the plant and it spread around 3 KM radius. All the people of the locality around the company are asleep when the incident took place. After inhaling the gas, several people fell unconscious.
Six people have died so far and several others were undergoing treatment in hospitals, police said. Several people were seen lying on the roadside and some were seen fallen in an unconscious state even in drainage canals. Several buffaloes, dogs and pigs were seen in an unconscious state. A police personnel was also seen in an unconscious state after inhaling the gas. He was shifted to a nearby hospital. The gas is so powerful that some trees near to the plant were seen withered. People from the RR Venkatapuram and Vepagunta areas left for safer places.
The NDRF, SDRF, Police, Revenue and Health officials rushed to the place and were carrying out rescue operations. Official sources said that Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke with AP Chief Minister Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy and enquired about the incident. The Chief Minister is leaving for Visakhapatnam to console the bereaved families. (UNI)