A toxic gas leak in a multinational chemical plant in Andhra Pradesh has resulted in the death of five persons, including a child. Over 200 people with difficulty in breathing and burning sensation in eyes have been admitted to hospitals in Visakhapatnam.
Ambulances, fire engines and policemen have reached the chemical plant, officials said.
Residents near the chemical gas plant of LG Polymers India Pvt Ltd in the district's village RR Venkatapuram reported a burning sensation in their eyes and difficulty in breathing, officials said. The gas leak took place late at night.
'There is gas leakage identified at LG Polymers in Gopalapatnam. Requesting Citizens around these locations not to come out of houses for the sake of safety precautions,' the Greater Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation (GVMC) tweeted.