Amritha
April 25, 2018, 9:45 pm IST
×
News Updates


National



National
Accused in Mecca Masjid blast case acquitted

Accused in Mecca Masjid blast case acquitted

 Apr 16, 2018

The five accused, including godman Swami Aseemanand, in the Mecca Masjid blast near the historic Charminar during prayers on May 18, 2017 and sent shock waves in the city, were acquitted by the special court dealing with the National Investigation Agency (NIA) cases, on Monday.

Pronouncing the judgment, the court located in the Nampally area of the city said that the prosecution had failed to prove charges against the accused persons.

Those acquitted by the court were Devender Gupta, Lokesh Sharma, Swami Asseemanand, Bharath Babu and Rajender Choudhary.

Nine people had been killed and about 60 others injured when an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) went off during prayers at the masjid. In the subsequent police firing to control mobs near the masjid, five people were killed.

In all, ten people allegedly belonging to the right wing organisations were named as accused but only five of them had been arrested and charge sheets filed against them. Sources said that the NIA may approach the High court. (UNI)



More News











Pick of the Day

About us

In the surfeit of information that inundates us relentlessly, now (24 x 7 so to speak), it is difficult to separate the chaff from the grain. With so much chaff getting into the public domain, the real news happening on the ground becomes hard to make out. We are embarking on this portal in an effort to clarify things and provide focus on the real d ...

Read more

Newsletter

Enter email address to subscribe the newsletter

Copyright © 2017 PENNEWS. All Rights Reserved | Designed by : Tedsys